We started launching funds in 1980 to help investors who lack the scale or resources to implement their own investment decisions cost-effectively. Today, our approach gives investors unparalleled access to a wide array of regional, global and niche products across asset classes in multiple ways.
The benefits of multi-asset investingBy investing in multi-asset funds, which combine multiple managers from multiple asset classes, you get the benefit of:
- Cost-effective diversification: Access to an extensive array of return sources otherwise impossible to achieve for all but the largest investors.
- Holistic and dynamic management: The portfolio manager makes tactical shifts between asset classes and introduces new ones when appropriate. This delegation helps you to stay focused on the overall picture and not the minutia.
- Simple administration: You no longer have to contract with multiple managers or invest in multiple funds across multiple assets classes in these easy-to-administer funds, leading to reduced legal costs and time efficiencies.
The benefits of multi-manager investingMany of our funds combine multiple specialist managers with complementary skill sets, which provide the following additional benefits:
- Generate more consistent returns: Combining managers who search for returns in different parts of the market results in more diversified and reliable sources of long-term returns.
- Reduced risk: Diversifying manager risk benchmark-relative performance and allows you to pursue more aggressive managers with a higher expected return for a given level of risk.
- Increase sources of return: We incorporate market valuation views into our portfolio construction decisions, so you can benefit from short-term market opportunities as an additional potential source of return.
- Invest efficiently: when we change managers, we implement this carefully using our in-house transition management service.
- Respond to market opportunities: we adapt our portfolios based on our capital markets research and portfolio outlook. This means investors have portfolios that reflect our best thinking at any given time.
At Russell Investments, we continuously seek to improve our investment process, developing new ways to help investors meet their goals. One of our more recent evolutions in portfolio management is the inclusion of investment strategy portfolios in our funds. An Investment Strategy portfolio is a model-driven custom portfolio, built to manage total portfolio exposure.
Assessing and managing total portfolio exposures is a multi-dimensional task involving a combination of principles, evolving market views and portfolio views. This assessment and management combines long-run views on return sources with a current assessment of market dynamics.The benefit to investors of the investment strategy portfolio is that the fund can be adjusted so that it meets the portfolio managers' desired exposures. These include custom exposure to specific factor characteristics, countries, and sectors, amongst other things.
The additional benefit of a customized model-driven solution is the flexibility to change the parameters and/or increase or reduce exposure in a more efficient manager than with underlying managers and therefore achieve cost efficiencies.
Bespoke segregated mandates
Even large, sophisticated institutional investors with ample access to internal resources, expertise and experience may find a particular area of their portfolio challenging as they focus on strategic issues and other parts of their portfolio.
We can partner with your internal investment teams to work on a particular asset class or group of assets to increase your ability to achieve your investment objectives.
Working with Russell Investments, you benefit from:
- Additional resource: for example you can leave day-to-day contract negotiation, portfolio monitoring and operational due diligence on multiple managers to us. You also get access to our portfolio managers whose full-time role is to dynamically manage a portfolio through market cycles.
- Complementary specialist services: including specialist agency FX execution services, derivative overlays and transition management.
- Additional investment insights: such as providing Russell Investments' views on the wider market environment and investment opportunities.
Any opinion expressed is that of Russell Investments, is not a statement of fact, is subject to change and does not constitute investment advice.
The value of investments and the income from them can fall as well as rise and is not guaranteed. You may not get back the amount originally invested.