Quarterly update – Q1 2019
Russell Investments’ representative pension scheme
The key impacts for pension schemes funding levels and commentary on movement.
- The funding level of our representative pension scheme surged upward for most of the period, before dipping at the end of the quarter as interest rates fell significantly, increasing today’s value of the liabilities.
- The value placed on the liabilities increased by 4.9% over the quarter, whilst the positive impact of the hedging portfolio (3.4%) slightly offset this. Growth assets rallied 3.4% in funding level terms, thus increasing the funding level all else equal.
- The growth portfolio recorded a stellar performance over the quarter. Risk assets staged an impressive rebound from December 2018 lows; the allocation to global and emerging market equities proved particularly beneficial to portfolio performance.
- The allocation to credit also contributed. A dovish US Federal Reserve, strong oil prices and optimism over a trade accord between the US and China tightened Investment Grade credit and high yield spreads.
- Over the quarter, we sold our entire US 5-Year Treasury position, capturing the upside from the sovereign bond rally. On the back of this, we added Australian 10 Year Government bonds (on a duration neutral basis) and decreased our Australian dollar exposure. With a benign central bank outlook - with low inflation and sluggish economic growth, as well as a downturn in housing prices - we see lower bond yields from continued downward pressure on the economy and weakness in the Australian dollar in the short-term. Following this, as a means of offsetting the lack of defensiveness in the Portfolio, we sold a further 1% of the Australian dollar and added to our US dollar exposure.
Evolution of funding level
Data as at 31 March 2019. Source: Russell Investments. For Illustrative purposes only
Quarter four attribution - Chart
Source: Russell Investments. Data as at 31 March 2019
Any opinion expressed is that of Russell Investments, is not a statement of fact, is subject to change and does not constitute investment advice.
The value of investments and the income from them can fall as well as rise and is not guaranteed. You may not get back the amount originally invested.
Any past performance is not necessarily a guide to future performance.
The information on this website is only intended for use by professional clients, regulated financial advisers and intermediaries who are knowledgeable and experienced in the financial services market and in investment products of this nature. If you are a retail or individual investor then please leave this website immediately and consult your financial adviser.
You should not use this website unless you understand its nature and the extent of your exposure to risk. You should also be satisfied that the website and investments are suitable for your client in light of their circumstances and financial position.
The information contained on this website is for information purposes only and you should not take it as constituting an offer, solicitation, inducement, commitment or invitation to subscribe for or to purchase, sell or hold any interest in any of the investments mentioned herein.
This website is not intended for distribution or use by anyone in any jurisdiction in which such distribution or use would be prohibited. Nothing on this website or in the materials referred to therein constitutes, or is intended to constitute, financial, tax, legal or other advice.
The value of investments, and the income from them, can go down as well as up and you may get back less than the amount invested. Any past performance figures are not necessarily a guide to future performance.
The website may contain forward-looking statements, which are based on a number of assumptions regarding present and future business strategies, which may or may not prove to be correct. By their nature, forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties because they relate to events and depend on circumstances that may or may not occur in the future. Forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future performance.
Issued by Russell Investments Limited. Company No. 02086230 and Russell Investments Implementation Services Limited Company No. 3049880. Registered in England and Wales with registered office at: Rex House, 10 Regent Street, London SW1Y 4PE. Telephone +44 (0)20 7024 6000. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, 12 Endeavour Square, London E20 1JN.
All reasonable care has been taken by us to ensure that the information contained on this website is accurate at the time of publication. However, we accept no responsibility for the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of the information and materials contained on this website and expressly disclaim liability for errors or omissions in such information and materials. We and our respective affiliates do not have any obligation to update the information contained in this website and reserve the right to change these terms and conditions at any time, without notice.
We will not regard you or any person who accesses this website as our client in relation to any of the investment products or services detailed therein, unless expressly agreed.