Making responsible investment a priority
Russell Investments recognizes the importance of environmental, social, and corporate governance issues. They not only affect our clients' investments and financial security. They affect our business and communities in which we live and work. To reinforce our commitment to these issues, we are a signatory of the UN Principles for Responsible Investment (UN PRI).
Supporting the UN PRI
Launched in 2005, the UN PRI are voluntary global best practices that support and challenge investors to embrace environmental, social, and corporate governance (ESG) issues when they invest. Russell Investments aims to achieve each of the UN PRI's six principles:
- Incorporating ESG issues in investment analysis and decision-making processes.
- Actively owning and incorporating ESG issues in our ownership policies and practices.
- Seeking appropriate disclosure on ESG issues from the entities we invest in.
- Promoting acceptance and implementation of the principles within the investment industry.
- Working together to enhance our effectiveness in implementing the principles.
- Reporting on our activities and progress towards implementing the principles.
Putting our principles in place
To support our commitment to the UN PRI and our wider sustainability efforts, we established the Russell Sustainability Council (RSC). The RSC focuses on these four activities:
- Sustainable business practices: ensuring our business practices, and those of our partners, reflect robust sustainability principles.
- Enhancing our products and services: introducing and refining products and services to integrate ESG issues in our investment processes.
- Thought leadership on sustainability in investments: using our leading position to promote sustainable investment and encourage firms to adopt responsible practices.
- Encouraging associates: publicizing and supporting internal activities that encourage associates to adopt sustainable and responsible work practices.