The 3 P's of effective reviews
There are three key ingredients to effective client reviews: Perspective, Process and Poise.
Help clients gain perspective on world news, market headlines, and the value of working with an advisor.
Walk your client through your client-centered wealth management process, their plan and portfolios.
Be intentional about the words you use, and remember to authentically ask, listen and empathize throughout your meeting.
Preparing for the review
Any good review—especially during volatile markets—requires advance preparation. Gather and reflect on the following to help your review go smoothly.
- Managing through market volatility
- Russell Investments Blog
- Russell Investments Quarterly Outlook
- Client-ready resources:
Articulate your process
Prepare your talk track
- Review the key tenets of excellent client discovery
- Listen to sample talk track to walk a client through the roller coaster of emotions and identify where they currently plot on the cycle
- Explore the interactive Cycle of Investor Emotions
Challenging Conversations Guide
Review client's goals, circumstances and preferences, and financial plan
Also: Please contact your dedicated Regional Team for a copy of the Client Engagement Roadmap Guide.
Review our best practices
Review 8 key reminders on client communication best practices
Prepare an agenda
Send the agenda
Send the agenda to your client at least 3 business days before the meeting. Include written instructions on how the client can access the virtual meeting technology.
Brush up on your tech
Conducting the review
You’re prepared! Be confident and remember to authentically ask, listen and empathize throughout the meeting.
Take time for personal conversation
Review the agenda
Walk the client through the meeting agenda. Make adjustments based on client's feedback and emotional state.
- Perspective. Share your perspective on the current world events, market developments and the value of a relationship with a trusted advisor like you.
- Priorities. Walk your client through a re-discovery process
- Process. Review the client's plan, tying it to their priorities and the re-discovery discussion you just had. Articulate and review product alignment and recommendation: Stay the course or make changes.
Articulate next steps
Schedule the next meeting. For top clients, consider introducing a Client Engagement Roadmap (Please contact your dedicated Regional team for access to the Client Engagement Roadmap Guide)
Make yourself available
Offer to talk to your client's concerned family members and friends.
After the review
You have finished the actual review meeting—but there are some important follow-up items to complete to ensure a good experience.
Follow up email
Within 48 hours, send a follow-up email summarizing next action steps. Consider also including:
- Link to latest Investor Newsletter
- Links to client-approved market perspective podcasts and videos
- For top clients, consider also creating a custom Engagement Roadmap to help the client visualize the trajectory of their relationship with you and execution of their priorities (Please contact your dedicated Regional team for access to the Client Engagement Roadmap Guide)
Implement the next steps
Keep client informed as next steps are completed
Quarterly review materials
Use these documents to complement your quarter-end conversations with clients
Other client-ready materials
Client Quarterly Review Letter
Send materials to your clients with this ready-to-use, FINRA-reviewed email template.
This quarterly newsletter explores timely investment topics and retirement strategies for investors.
Insights from Russell Investments' experts
Economic and market commentary that provides context and perspective
Global Market Outlook
Each quarter our investment teams summarize their economic outlook for you to read and share.
Market Week In Review
Each Friday our investment professionals produce a concise look back at important market drivers and events of the past week
Asset Class Dashboard
We've identified key economic and market indicators to assess the current economic health and trends.
Consider ways to elevate your client reviews & stay up-to-date on product and manager changes
Advisors, ready to take the next step? We're here to help.
Fund objectives, risks, charges and expenses should be carefully considered before investing. A summary prospectus, if available, or a prospectus containing this and other important information can be obtained by calling 800-787-7354 or by visiting the prospectus and reports page to download one. Please read the prospectus carefully before investing.